Tuesday, February 22, 2011

One Proud Big Sis....



About 3 years ago my brother, Brooks, came up with an idea...and what an idea it was. I'm sure I'll leave out some details, but I'll try my best.

At the time he was working for the University of Tennessee Mens Basketball Team, and a friend and teammate was diagnosed with cancer. Not wanting to tell anyone he kept it to himself, was treated, and played the 2007-2008 season while recovering. Brooks wanted to do something in honor of his friend, and thus came OUTlive. This is an effort to increase awareness of cancer detection and prevention. Brooks worked with people from the University and the Hospital to idea into action. Since its first year, they have raised almost $400,000! Brooks has moved on and is currently working at Tulane, but OUTlive is still going strong.

There are few words that can describe how proud of I of him. (And I don't think I have ever told him really how proud I am.) He saw the big picture...how he could help others. He was not worried about getting the credit for the idea, but instead continued to help the concept each year. Brooks, with your drive, determination,and vision....good things are sure to come! I love you!

Last Saturday, the Vols faced Georgia in the OUTlive game for this year. I know Brooks wished he could have been there...but I think he was in a way...his heart was there. He even got some recognition during the game via the broadcaster :)



I'm sure I've left out some detail or got some part of the story wrong, so visit the OUTLive page.

No comments:

Post a Comment