Monday, January 10, 2011

Not So "Famously Hot"...

I'm sorry for the mass amount of text...Blogger was NOT working with me today! I had very nice paragraphs and it will not publish with them, does anyone know how to fix this problem?
My good ole city of Columbia has taken on the nickname, "Famously Hot," really makes you want to visit, right?
Well, this is not so hot to me....
And it's the second time this Winter we have seen the white stuff.
This might turn into a Debbie Downer post, so I apologize in advance.
I needed to be in Greenville this morning, so after seeing the weather report and being urged by the ones that love me, I drove up last night to try to "get ahead of the weather." School was cancelled about 8 pm for Monday, and you think I would be excited, but I wasn't. Amanda and Hal were sweet enough to let me stay with them, and we had a good time catching up Sunday night. Amanda and I did one of the things we are best at...laid on the couch all bundled up and watched some great reality TV.
When I woke up this morning, I was greeted with several, like 4 to 5 inches, of snow, postponing my plans for today. I knew the weather was going to only get worse, and get worse in Columbia much sooner than in Greenville, so I wanted to get on the road asap. Who did I call? My Daddy of course! I turned on the news and he got online and checked the roads for me, and we talked about my plan to head home. No matter how old I get, I still think I will to some point rely on my dad. Normally, it is 2 hours from my house to Greenville...today 3 hours 45 minutes. Hal was very sweet and drove his truck ahead of me from their house to the interstate to make a path for me, and then I hit the highway. I didn't want to get into a wreck and was not very confident driving in this weather, as we don't get it much, so I went the grand speed of 30 to 40 miles per hour the whole way. In my extra time that I had in the car today, I thought of a good analogy of my fine city and snow. It is a lot like The Little Boy That Cried Wolf. So many times they have called for snow and nothing. Sometimes it has even been sunny and beautiful on our "snow day." So when they do actually call for snow, I have a hard time believing it will snow. There ya go, my profound thought for the day.
I'm glad to say that I made it home safely, finally got something to eat, showered, and plan to catch up on school work before attempting to relax for the rest of the day. Relaxing is something I'm not so good at these days.
Back to the school being cancelled for a moment.....
On a normal day, I would be thrilled that we had a day off, however this is the last week of the semester with A TON of things going on and finish before the 2nd nine weeks ends. Grades are due, text levels are due, testing and benchmarking are going on, and we were supposed to have professional development for half a day on Tuesday. The kids also have a half day on Thursday and not school on Friday, so time is of the essence this week. Like I said before, I had some extra time to think on my way home today and I came up with a new attitude for the week. I'm going to go ahead and finish up with the grades I have now, put them in and not worry about what gets done the rest of the week. What gets done, gets done, and monitor and adjust from there. As for the testing, out of my control, and text levels, work them into my schedule when we finally return to school.
Hoping for a 2 hour delay tomorrow and not another cancellation.
Stay Warm!

1 comment:

  1. I know how you feel. We did get some good news from Nancy Lind-text levels not due until the 28th. : )

    ReplyDelete